SOLID TC COMPRESSION ROUTER

• Hi!

Is anyone using one of these tools with their Homag machine to plunge and cut out shapes in chipboard?

• Yes, are your tools mostly solid carbide spirals?

I like the leitz 1/2" compression spiral for most nesting applications.

Maybe a diamond tip would be good for larger quantities. Chipboard is quite abrasive so would expect higher tool wear than with MDF

• Yes, are your tools mostly solid carbide spirals?

I like the leitz 1/2" compression spiral for most nesting applications.

Maybe a diamond tip would be good for larger quantities. Chipboard is quite abrasive so would expect higher tool wear than with MDF

Hi

No at the moment the company is using TC throw away tipped tools which take a few passes to get thru 44mm chipboard, im looking at changing over to the STC spirals and with any luck getting thru 44/54mm chipboard in 2 passes.

• Hi,

we using DP Tools like this (not from from Leuco but the tools are almost the same)
    https://www.leuco.com/EN/US/Shank-Ty…utters_DP_Z_2_2

With this milling cutter like this you can also mill 54mm in one pass.

This is a good suggestion for you Craig. Or just try a solid carbide first, as they are significantly cheaper.

If you want technical support, call Leitz and explain what you want to cut. They will give feeds/speeds advise, as well as what tool to use.

• Thanks.

I think with the quality of chipboard we use the diamond cutters wont last so I'm defiantly going to use STC. We currently use leuco tooling as they are quite local to us.

After a bit of googling different spirals i think taking out about 25/28mm at a time @ 15 Vf

• Do you mean 25mm DOC?

A good tooling supplier will be able to tell you feed and speed for the material.

It will vary with every tool depending on number of flutes, RPM, etc.

Important to ramp into the cut also.

• Thanks.

I think with the quality of chipboard we use the diamond cutters wont last so I'm defiantly going to use STC. We currently use leuco tooling as they are quite local to us.

After a bit of googling different spirals i think taking out about 25/28mm at a time @ 15 Vf

Im assuming you are machining GCC Fire Blanks 44mm & 54mm the same as us. We are using Leuco PCD Tooling 22 x 64 x Z2 (25Dia Shank) in Hydro Tool Holders.

We do Vision Panel Cutouts both 44mm & 54mm in 3 Equal Cut Depths @ 15m/min. You can do it in 2 passes happily on the 44mm but its particularly noisy on the 54mm and will only save ~5 - 10 seconds. I find the tool and machine are much happier running the 3 step cut.

I can't see Carbide tooling lasting very long doing this operation depending on the quantities and durations involved, potentially a spiral roughing tool would last depending on the finish required.

You could potentially run faster with 3 Flute tooling & Large diameter, however larger diameter is harder on the spindle and leaves the problem of correcting corner radius / square notching.

Speak to Steve Noton @ Leuco he is very good and will recommend a suitable tool (Probably PCD).

Thanks

Alex

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for your input mate, ive used PCD tooling at a previous company and found with chipboard i was always getting the tips replaced. Now that may have been because it was few years ago and PCD tooling was quite a new thing.

I know what you saying about STC maybe not lasting but compared to what is used at the moment it will be a massive improvement in time and replacement of cutters.

I did get a test spiral roughing cutter 18mm dia with 3 flutes and this went through 54mm in 2 hits with ease so im going to test with a 18mm 3 flute compression and see how it goes.

• Hi Alex,

Thanks for your input mate, ive used PCD tooling at a previous company and found with chipboard i was always getting the tips replaced. Now that may have been because it was few years ago and PCD tooling was quite a new thing.

I know what you saying about STC maybe not lasting but compared to what is used at the moment it will be a massive improvement in time and replacement of cutters.

I did get a test spiral roughing cutter 18mm dia with 3 flutes and this went through 54mm in 2 hits with ease so im going to test with a 18mm 3 flute compression and see how it goes.

Just remember that more flutes = higher feed speed. (which you may or may not be able to keep up with, depending on how complex your routing patterns are).

how are you mounting your tools?

Also, if you are just cutting to size, why not use a saw?

• Just remember that more flutes = higher feed speed. (which you may or may not be able to keep up with, depending on how complex your routing patterns are).

how are you mounting your tools?

Also, if you are just cutting to size, why not use a saw?

Our routing is very simple its vision panel holes in doors so mainly rectangular. Been testing a 3 flute @ 15vf this seems to be fine so will start there.

We are using mainly HSK holders

• Our routing is very simple its vision panel holes in doors so mainly rectangular. Been testing a 3 flute @ 15vf this seems to be fine so will start there.

We are using mainly HSK holders

Collet, shrink or hydro? I think you guys would benefit from heat shrink holders, and send them off for sharpening in the holder. Gives you accurate diameter and length measurements.

Leitz's STC recommends 18m/min for your thickness. 2 flute. 20mm dia.

The last time I did something like this, I programmed the tool to be in a constant ramp down. Rather than 2 separate passes. Made it smoother, with no retract in Z. And constant tool engagement.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!