Saw blade processing opinions

• Hello, I machine solid wood 95% of the time on my venture 115m. I have a 14" Diameter blade, with 48 teeth set in a crosscut format, running at 5250 rpm. I rip 90% more than I crosscut.

I rip hardwood at 12m/min and softwood at 15m/min. my predecessor used to machine with a 60tooth crosscut blade which i assume was for melamine, he ran that at a snails pace of 3m/min for years, and i requested a combination blade with some larger gullets as our machine unfortunately does not have the capabilities to hold more than 1 saw blade at a time. My request was heard, but not taken as sage advice and was met with the current setup I just mentioned.

I grow tired of ripping my material with my current setup, and i have been informed by some individuals that I do not want a combination blade. But I do!!.

In theory, my opinion is that the combination blade will be more efficient in ripping and i can push the machine to rip at a higher feed rate, although my thoughts are that I may lose some feed rate in the cross cutting department, it's negligible as I have improved production drastically in all aspects, not just the sawing department. I come here for your advice in the matter.

I want a combination blade. Am I wrong for thinking this way?

Will I be forced to rip with this crosscut blade? I need practical opinions. thank you.

Picture of saw blade attached.

• Is it not possible to have a blade in the rotary tool changer? I think we can use a 300mm dia blade in the rotary, if we block off 3 slots.

Or when we have blades that need to be changed regularly, we have multiple arbors set up, so the tool change is quicker

• I only have an 8 slot carousel on my machine, I just measured and i could probably fit something under 254 mm in diameter in one of the slots. I don't think in my production setting, having 3 slots tied up for a smaller saw blade is the most optimal situation as in some scenarios I'm utilizing almost all of my slots with my larger cutter heads.

At some point the cons of that setup will outweigh the pros. In my situation.

I do like the idea of having multiple arbors set up, but I work in a small shop and investing into that will most likely be put on the back burner.

• Is it not possible to have a blade in the rotary tool changer? I think we can use a 300mm dia blade in the rotary, if we block off 3 slots.

Or when we have blades that need to be changed regularly, we have multiple arbors set up, so the tool change is quicker

This gave me some thoughts, I appreciate your insight on the matter. I will be going will a full sized ripping blade and a smaller diameter crosscutting blade in my linear holder, as it will not take up any extra space replacing 1 of my larger cutter heads as I can swap that specific one out when using it.

Thanks.

• I think saw blade arbors are surprisingly reasonably priced...as are saw blades! Definitely cheaper than someone's time changing blades.

How does the rip saw style blade cut hardwood? I found ripping with the saw (admittedly a crosscut blade) to be the operation which requires the most spindle power.

Also curious what job you are doing which requires ripping on the CNC?

• Solid wood doors and jambs , blanks come to me planed and jointed 1 side. I rip excess material to remove the tension and check deflection, and change my offset according to what is deflected, I square it up with the saw blade and the end product is much better than what my colleagues would give me if they were to give me an s4s board.

Bottom line is, better product when assembling jambs, and gluing doors.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!