Posts by cbl123

It would be interesting to see a photo of the existing camera.

Homag do offer a camera system, but I have heard it is expensive.

I installed 2 cameras into my machine. I simply ran a CAT6 cable through the cable chain, and used an IP camera mounted inside the gantry. Then any PC can view the cameras on the same network.

Is the rectangle a routed groove also? Shouldn't be too hard to draw these contours, or even draw in CAD then import if easier for you.

With our Homag, the spindle always swivels in when the pocket is the same size as the milling cutter, in order to reduce the risk of breakage. I thought the first time what did I do wrong:D

It was unexpected for me too! Nearly crashed the collet chuck into the edge of my workpiece

To clarify the difference between horizontal and pocket with A-angle:

Do both always ramp in, or does the cutter plunge between steps? And does it retract before plunging to the next step?

For a common deep mortice, I programmed with a contour. The best way to cut is a continuously plunging ramp, along the full length of the pocket.

I also find a tool with a smaller diameter to be better, so it doesn't stop on each side of the mortice; it follows the radius of the pocket edge smoothly. Which is kinder to the tool life.

I think saw blade arbors are surprisingly reasonably priced...as are saw blades! Definitely cheaper than someone's time changing blades.

How does the rip saw style blade cut hardwood? I found ripping with the saw (admittedly a crosscut blade) to be the operation which requires the most spindle power.

Also curious what job you are doing which requires ripping on the CNC?

Is it not possible to have a blade in the rotary tool changer? I think we can use a 300mm dia blade in the rotary, if we block off 3 slots.

Or when we have blades that need to be changed regularly, we have multiple arbors set up, so the tool change is quicker

Yes, of course, it works wonderfully, but it's always a shame about the space in the changer.

And it's also a pity that you can't do something like that with a new machine, with our 15-year-old machine it works without any problems.

I don't understand what you cannot do with the new machine? Do you mean you can't use a drill in a HSK chuck?

Have you considered doing all your tools as variables, then printing the variable list?

Otherwise I think you may have to print the components separately.

Also, it is not unusual to manually write out a tool list (spreadsheet etc).

The engineers I work with still do it like this for each job, and they run multiple 5axis CNC milling machines.

Our routing is very simple its vision panel holes in doors so mainly rectangular. Been testing a 3 flute @ 15vf this seems to be fine so will start there.

We are using mainly HSK holders

Collet, shrink or hydro? I think you guys would benefit from heat shrink holders, and send them off for sharpening in the holder. Gives you accurate diameter and length measurements.

Leitz's STC recommends 18m/min for your thickness. 2 flute. 20mm dia.

The last time I did something like this, I programmed the tool to be in a constant ramp down. Rather than 2 separate passes. Made it smoother, with no retract in Z. And constant tool engagement.